Thread Tools Display Modes

Major

Join Date
Nov 2004
Posts
22,472
Level 80
43% to Level 81
Activity
30 Day Activity Level for Major
24 Hours
Today's Activity Level for Major
Reputation
Rep Level for Major
  • Post Award x4
  • Thread Award x3
  • Replied Award x4
  • Referral Award x2
  • Poker Award x4
  • Spree Award x3

Sack yardage

  • November 22nd, 2009 @ 08:28 PM
  • /
  • 5 replies
  • /
  • 1,700 views
In college, yards lost on sacks are counted as rushing yards. In the NFL they're counted as passing yards. Do you think sacks should count as rushing yards or passing yards?

Other Hot Topics

Congress ashamed of Congress. Taking 2...

Major Gotta love this part... ...

Why do I go to school?

Captain_Cyber Why do I go to high...
  • School
  • -
  • September 18th, 2014

Deadly Illness in Venezuela

Hilander They don't know what...

J.J. Abrams Reveals Hidden Batmobile on...

Mirage Did you know that Batman...

State Dept suing whistleblower

dDave Well, technically it's...

We Recommend

21 Really Annoying Facebook Friends...

Mirage http://www.generalforum.c...

~RANDOM THoUGHT THREAD~

BigBlue Just spam away here........

Motor Cycles and Low Rider (bikes...

merob post your pics ...
  • Autos
  • -
  • January 21st, 2008

21 EVEN MORE Annoying Facebook...

Mirage http://www.generalforum.c...

Post your pic! Pics of GF users

Henskie I dont remember if this...

REGISTER FOR LESS ADS

Reply Posted: November 22nd, 2009 @ 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
In college, yards lost on sacks are counted as rushing yards. In the NFL they're counted as passing yards. Do you think sacks should count as rushing yards or passing yards?
To clarify they count as passing yards against for the team but the quarterback's individual stats aren't affected, right? Or did I make that up?

Really, does it make any sense for it to count against passing yards? I guess because the QB's intent is to THROW makes sense in that aspect but I dunno. I don't think it should count against either.


Reply Posted: November 22nd, 2009 @ 08:36 PM
Originally Posted by Millz View Post
To clarify they count as passing yards against for the team but the quarterback's individual stats aren't affected, right? Or did I make that up?
I'm not sure if it affects the quarterback's stats or not, but I'm pretty sure the yards are deducted from the team's passing yardage.

Originally Posted by Millz View Post
Really, does it make any sense for it to count against passing yards? I guess because the QB's intent is to THROW makes sense in that aspect but I dunno.
To me it doesn't make any sense to count them against passing yards. If there was never an attempted pass then there are no yards gained or lost through the air. They are lost on the ground, so the yards should come off the rushing totals.

Originally Posted by Millz View Post
I don't think it should count against either.
Well total offense should be passing yards plus rushing yards. If you don't count sack yards lost against either passing or rushing, they won't equal the total offense. Should sacks just be its own category like penalty yards?


Reply Posted: November 23rd, 2009 @ 06:24 AM
I think it should count as negative offensive yards because when you think about it, the QB is sacked before he decides what he is actually going to do. It seems strange to dock the running game yardage or the passing game yardage when neither were really the clear goal since we don't know what the QB was going to do. I think sack yardage should simply be deducted from total offensive yardage, that way both passing and running suffer penalty equally.


Reply Posted: November 23rd, 2009 @ 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
I think sack yardage should simply be deducted from total offensive yardage, that way both passing and running suffer penalty equally.
You can't deduct it from total offense without deducting it from either passing or running. Total offense is the sum of passing and rushing yards. Unless you are proposing that total offense be less than the sum of the passing and rushing yards.


Reply Posted: November 23rd, 2009 @ 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
You can't deduct it from total offense without deducting it from either passing or running. Total offense is the sum of passing and rushing yards. Unless you are proposing that total offense be less than the sum of the passing and rushing yards.
I'm talking about simply calling it negative offensive yards. Let's say you pass for 100, run for a 100, 200 right?

10 yard sack = 190 yards of offense for the whole game.




Thread Tools
Display Modes


Tags
sack , yardage

Like
GeneralForum

Follow
@GeneralForum