Thread Tools Display Modes

Join Date
Mar 2006
Posts
21,178
Level 78
29% to Level 79
Activity
30 Day Activity Level for Merc
24 Hours
Today's Activity Level for Merc
Reputation
Rep Level for Merc
  • Post Award x4
  • Thread Award x3
  • Replied Award x4
  • Referral Award x2

Obama is trying to destroy the United States

  • July 11th, 2010 @ 11:19 AM
  • /
  • 33 replies
  • /
  • 3,934 views
Something that continues to just . . blow my mind is the startling number of people who are thoroughly convinced that Obama's "mission" is to destroy the United States. I mean, where can you even begin to think that's even within the realm of sane thinking? So because he doesn't share your views and ideas for the country, he's automatically trying to destroy the US? I wonder how many people think Obama and see this:




Now, George Bush got a lot of hatred too and a lot of these ridiculous photoshopped attacks but you never heard popular opinion claiming Bush to be "the antichrist" or planning to destroy the US. Most of the criticisms at him were shots at his intelligence or complete disregard for the security and rights of Americans (don't even try to refute this, did you forget the Patriot Act already?) however there's a legitimate amount of people thoroughly convinced this guy is some sort of demon sent from hell's colon to bring about the apocalypse.

So I guess my question is, why are people so goddamn infuriated by this guy to the point that they go overboard in their fantasies and nightmares about him? I don't like him so far but I'm not one of these loonies creating doomsday scenarios in my head of what creative way he's going to **** us over next week. I guess I'm half ranting here but the next time I hear some single celled organism stating how the world is going to end or that Obama is some evil mastermind planning the downfall of a country that is too busy ****ing itself already, I'm going to snap.

Stop making me like this guy out of pity.,=

Other Hot Topics

The shoes off his feet

Dr4gon – This story is really...

Name those drivers

ReasontoBelieve – Ok so your going out...
  • Autos
  • -
  • April 23rd, 2014

Man forced kill his dog with his bare...

Hilander – I'm sorry for my...
  • Pets
  • -
  • April 23rd, 2014

Happy 100th Birthday Wrigley Field

ILuvChuzzles31 – Why now that I see the...

Need Help Pinching Pennies?

ILuvChuzzles31 – If you are like me and...

We Recommend

21 Really Annoying Facebook Friends...

Mirage – If you've used Facebook...

~RANDOM THoUGHT THREAD~

BigBlue – Just spam away here........

Motor Cycles and Low Rider (bikes...

merob – post your pics ...
  • Autos
  • -
  • January 21st, 2008

21 EVEN MORE Annoying Facebook...

Mirage – Just when you thought...

Post your pic! Pics of GF users

Henskie – I dont remember if this...

REGISTER FOR LESS ADS

Reply Posted: July 11th, 2010 @ 12:05 PM
How do you know people don't like him? Sorry I'm not from the US, so I don't know much, but the media portrays him favourably.


Reply Posted: July 11th, 2010 @ 12:13 PM
Is it really that serious? I'm really surprised by this. I remember the run up to the elections a few years ago and from what was broadcast in SA, the people of America were all over the idea of Obama being the saviour. So yes, he did not live up to all the promises he made, but then show me a president who actually delivered on every single promise made in his campaign.

I know I should not be laughing at this, but calling Obama the anti-Christ is just ridiculous. It is laughable. That is giving him far more credit than he is deserving of, not to mention the insult to the anti-Christ to come.

Question : Do you think if Obama did some things differently, people would be more tolerant of him? Did he ever stand a chance to please the people? Was he ever really going to be loved/adored/respected by a nation?


Reply Posted: July 11th, 2010 @ 12:22 PM
Originally Posted by CuriousGirlSA View Post
Is it really that serious? I'm really surprised by this. I remember the run up to the elections a few years ago and from what was broadcast in SA, the people of America were all over the idea of Obama being the saviour. So yes, he did not live up to all the promises he made, but then show me a president who actually delivered on every single promise made in his campaign.

I know I should not be laughing at this, but calling Obama the anti-Christ is just ridiculous. It is laughable. That is giving him far more credit than he is deserving of, not to mention the insult to the anti-Christ to come.

Question : Do you think if Obama did some things differently, people would be more tolerant of him? Did he ever stand a chance to please the people? Was he ever really going to be loved/adored/respected by a nation?
I do believe Obama is attempting to fundamentally change the US and how we do things. That doesn't make him a bad person, I believe he's done and trying to do the things he does because he honestly feels it is the direction the country should go in. I disagree with him in many respects but I do not doubt the sincerity in his heart.

That being said yes I think if he did things differently there would not be as much criticism but there still would be some who do not like him no matter what. But that's pretty much true about any president.

But we're using the word people and how they feel much too broadly. There certainly are groups who agree with he has done and appreciate his efforts and those who will approve of what he does no matter what.


Reply Posted: July 11th, 2010 @ 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
So I guess my question is, why are people so goddamn infuriated by this guy to the point that they go overboard in their fantasies and nightmares about him?
Knee-jerk reactionaries have never been in short supply. Take a look at the body of early American political cartoons and you'll see just how little things have actually changed. It's simple mechanics; the farther from center a President is perceived to be, the more ire he'll receive from the distant wing.


Last edited by Tucker; July 11th, 2010 at 12:27 PM..


Reply Posted: July 11th, 2010 @ 12:36 PM
Originally Posted by CaptainObvious View Post
I do believe Obama is attempting to fundamentally change the US and how we do things. That doesn't make him a bad person, I believe he's done and trying to do the things he does because he honestly feels it is the direction the country should go in. I disagree with him in many respects but I do not doubt the sincerity in his heart.

That being said yes I think if he did things differently there would not be as much criticism but there still would be some who do not like him no matter what. But that's pretty much true about any president.

But we're using the word people and how they feel much too broadly. There certainly are groups who agree with he has done and appreciate his efforts and those who will approve of what he does no matter what.
Well he's doing a pretty ****ty job of fundamentally changing things. Health care reform was written by the insurance companies, the wars have been escallated and expanded (into Pakistan and everywhere in the world), gays can't serve openly, Gitmo isn't closed and the bank bailouts just put more money in bankers pockets while not helping the economy. Sounds like the status quo to me.


Reply Posted: July 11th, 2010 @ 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Something that continues to just . . blow my mind is the startling number of people who are thoroughly convinced that Obama's "mission" is to destroy the United States. I mean, where can you even begin to think that's even within the realm of sane thinking? So because he doesn't share your views and ideas for the country, he's automatically trying to destroy the US?
I can't speak for others, but for me it is his total disregard and distain for the Constitution that he swore to uphold.

Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
I wonder how many people think Obama and see this:




Now, George Bush got a lot of hatred too and a lot of these ridiculous photoshopped attacks but you never heard popular opinion claiming Bush to be "the antichrist" or planning to destroy the US. Most of the criticisms at him were shots at his intelligence or complete disregard for the security and rights of Americans (don't even try to refute this, did you forget the Patriot Act already?) however there's a legitimate amount of people thoroughly convinced this guy is some sort of demon sent from hell's colon to bring about the apocalypse.
I don't know about that, see Tuck's post. Also, I really wonder how many really think he's the anti-christ. I bet it is just more of an insult than a belief.

Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
So I guess my question is, why are people so goddamn infuriated by this guy to the point that they go overboard in their fantasies and nightmares about him? I don't like him so far but I'm not one of these loonies creating doomsday scenarios in my head of what creative way he's going to **** us over next week. I guess I'm half ranting here but the next time I hear some single celled organism stating how the world is going to end or that Obama is some evil mastermind planning the downfall of a country that is too busy ****ing itself already, I'm going to snap.
Going overboard is just what many feel the most radical president in American history is currently doing.

Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Stop making me like this guy out of pity.,=
Cons and pity,


Reply Posted: July 11th, 2010 @ 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by SmilinSilhouette View Post
I can't speak for others, but for me it is his total disregard and distain for the Constitution that he swore to uphold
Implying that any elected official had any regard for it.


Reply Posted: July 11th, 2010 @ 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by Constantine View Post
Something that continues to just . . blow my mind is the startling number of people who are thoroughly convinced that Obama's "mission" is to destroy the United States. I mean, where can you even begin to think that's even within the realm of sane thinking? So because he doesn't share your views and ideas for the country, he's automatically trying to destroy the US?
I would guess that most people who are so opposed to Obama think that he's on a misguided mission, and the effect of that mission will be to destroy the US. It's not necessarily that he's malicious - just ignorant (which is common on both sides. If you vehemently oppose someone's positions, you either think they're malicious or you think they're ignorant (or both)).

Now, George Bush got a lot of hatred too and a lot of these ridiculous photoshopped attacks but you never heard popular opinion claiming Bush to be "the antichrist" or planning to destroy the US. Most of the criticisms at him were shots at his intelligence or complete disregard for the security and rights of Americans (don't even try to refute this, did you forget the Patriot Act already?) however there's a legitimate amount of people thoroughly convinced this guy is some sort of demon sent from hell's colon to bring about the apocalypse.
I really haven't heard the anti-christ thing being mentioned seriously, but then again I might not be listening to the right people . But I'd imagine that the people who would use that label would be more likely to be the religious right; they wouldn't call Bush that, because they agreed with him.

I heard people say Bush was destroying the US all the time.


Reply Posted: July 11th, 2010 @ 05:40 PM
Here a few numbers, for that we know the numbers of people believing insane BS is really huge:

67 percent of Republicans (and 40 percent of Americans overall) believe that Obama is a socialist.
The belief that Obama is a “domestic enemy” is widely held—a sign of trouble yet to come.
57 percent of Republicans (32 percent overall) believe that Obama is a Muslim 45 percent of Republicans (25 percent overall) agree with the Birthers in their belief that Obama was "not born in the United States and so is not eligible to be president" 38 percent of Republicans (20 percent overall) say that Obama is "doing many of the things that Hitler did" Scariest of all, 24 percent of Republicans (14 percent overall) say that Obama "may be the Antichrist." These numbers all come from a brand-new Harris poll, inspired in part by my new book Wingnuts. It demonstrates the cost of the campaign of fear and hate that has been pumped up in the service of hyper-partisanship over the past 15 months. We are playing with dynamite by demonizing our president and dividing the United States in the process. What might be good for ratings is bad for the country.
Opinion: Scary new GOP poll - Yahoo! News

Opinions like these are so obviously insane you'd expect only wingnuts can possible take them seriously (and I don't think the number of insane Bush haters was remotely as large) -- but thanks to a massive right-wing media machine, these insane hysterics have entered the mainstream.

We are simply dealing with between 20% and 30% of the population at minimum that's completely disconnected from reality, believes in hysteric hyperbole and is trapped in a right-wing echo chamber that has created an alternate reality.


Add to that that a large percentage of Americans apparently doesn't have the slightest clue what socialism actually is (the claim that Obama is a socialist is about as sane and justified as claiming Bush is a Nazi). Look, folks, people went on the streets in eastern Europe in 1989 to battle a socialist dictatorship and to end it -- to fight for freedom of speech, free elections, habeas corpus and a fair, independent legal system. They did *not* go on the streets because their taxes were raised, or because of a public health care system (in fact, most of those who opposed socialist dictatorship were strongly in favor of public health care, and believe that was actually one of the few good things in socialism). They went on the streets because they wanted to say what they want, to vote for whom they want, and to be protected from the government kidnapping them from the streets and torturing, while denying them a fair trial.

On the other side, the very same people who don't know that public health care does not make socialism, much like a fresh wind in summer does not make a winter, didn't have the slightest problem when Bush ordered the Patriot Act and thus the use of torture and skipping the Geneva convention, when Bush ordered a violation of the most basic legal standard that suspects must be considered innocent until their guilt was proven by a fair, independent trial. Also, these people didn't care when Ashcroft proposed the "Operation TIPS" that would have created 10 times as many agents snitching on their neighbors as existed in communist East Germany. They didn't care at all. Yet they think raising taxes means tyranny.

Courageous eastern Europeans, also East Germans, went on the streets in 1989 to protest against socialist dictatorship, just because this dictatorship did that exactly: Detaining people without a fair trial, using torture against suspects, violating legal standards, using a system of snitches to spy on the people. And they won: Socialist dictatorship failed and fair elections were called.

When I visited a former East German Stasi prison (the secret police hiring snitches and extralegally detaining and torturing suspects), which now is a museum where former prisoners are giving a tour, one of these former prisoners (who showed the visitors little cells where waterboarding and other kinds of torture were employed) expressed his regret that maybe, his fight and the fight of his fellow victims of communist dictatorship for freedom and law may have been in vein, because today, the USA are doing the very same.

Really, folks, you simply don't have a clue what you are talking about. Public health care or raising taxes is not "socialism" and it definitely is not dictatorship. You apparently don't even know how lucky you are, because you have free elections and a legal system that at least usually protects your rights (at least as you are not some brown sand****, a bearded member of a suspicious religion or simply with the wrong name at the wrong place). Obama is not even dreaming in his wildest nights about skipping fair elections, abolishing independent courts or cancelling the human rights defined in the Constitution.

There is a difference between socialist dictatorship à la East Bloc, democratic socialism or even social democracy. Most free countries, the only exception being the US, have rather encompassing social welfare nets and thus a high amount of welfare redistribution -- but they all respect freedom of speech and media, the independence of courts, the basic right on fair trials, they don't use torture and they all have free elections. That's why they are free, although they have public health care and social programs.

Socialist or communist dictatorships, on the other hand, are/were not bad because they had public health care. They were evil because there were no free elections, no free media, no respect for legal standards, no independent courts, snitches spying on their neighbors, and use of torture on suspects that had not been convicted of any crime. THAT'S why they were evil. That's why the people stood up in 1989 to topple these dictatorships -- yet most of these brave freedom fighters voted in favor of strong welfare nets and redistribution, once they had achieved their freedom.

So I guess a major problem is that Americans simply don't know what tyranny is. That would concern the 50%+ who claim "Obama is a socialist".

(On the 20%+ who believe Obama may be the anti-Christ, I don't know how even to comment in the first place ... they are from an entirely different planet I don't even begin to understand.)

Last edited by Sim; July 11th, 2010 at 05:48 PM..




Thread Tools
Display Modes


Tags
destroy, obama, states, united

Like
GeneralForum

Follow
@GeneralForum